What is permit expediting?
Permit expediting is a way to mitigate development struggles, headaches, and roadblocks. Obtaining permits in Chicago can be a lengthy, challenging and expensive. MAPS takes pride in understanding and owning every step of the process, ensuring clients don’t experience any hassles or delays. From entirely new and complex mixed-use development to small tenant enhancements — our veteran project managers have expertise and experience in all stages of the Chicago building permit process. This allows you to sit back and relax, knowing that the necessary strategies and goals are in good hands.
Many complications and obstacles can, and often do, occur during the permitting process. This often results in several months worth of wasted time and energy. In the modern era we can design buildings faster, but the role of expediters and code consultants has remained slow and unchanged.
MAP Strategies handles the organization and meetings among design and construction teams, and various municipal departments. Our permit expediting team is well equipped to rigorously review submittal packages, picking out any inaccuracies and checking for completeness. We start with a comprehensive schedule with accurate deadlines. We provide you with regular updates and issues that need correcting. We finish by obtaining permits on time.
Permit Expediting vs. Permit Management
Our commitment to owning and driving the permit expediting process is the cornerstone of our team. That is why we have devised a complete permit management service. While part of the permit management process is expediting, there is a better approach to project completion. We integrate with your full design and development team, in real time, as an extension of your team. By working with our permit management program, we can reduce the expected project completion time by up to six months.
Complete list of Permits and Licenses
Chicago permit processes
- Developer Services
- Direct Developer Services
- Easy (EZ) Permit Process
- Standard Plan Review
- Self-Certified Permit
Other Chicago permit types & related services
- Change of Contractor (EZ permit)
- Crane permits
- Office of Underground Coordination (OUC) Permit Issuance Authorizations, including excavation and earth retention systems.
- Excavation drawing services - We save months by developing these drawings in-house so that your project can start the OUC permit review process immediately.
- Occupancy Capacity Sign permit
- Tent permits
- Signage permits - required to be pulled by licensed signage contractor, MAPS can assist in expediting process
- Trade - electrical permits, drywall, plumbing, refrigeration, etc.
- Wrecking permits - required to be pulled by licensed wrecking contractor, MAPS can assist in expediting process
Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) permits
- Openings in the public way
- Street and alley closures
- Occupying the public right of way
Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) permits & licenses
- Grant of Privilege (GOP), also known as public way use permits
- Special Events permit
- Sidewalk Café permit
- Food and Beverage permits and licensing as a bundle - this is necessary when you open a restaurant, for example, because permits and licenses must be obtained in tandem:
- Chicago Department of Buildings (DOB)
- Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP)
Additional licenses, permits and other business activities
- Alcohol Licensing - nine types of liquor licenses
- Business and Hotel Licensing
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle)
- Dog-Friendly Dining Areas
- Mobile Food Dispensers
- Sidewalk Dining
- Wood Burning Ovens and Kitchen Hoods
- Retail and hotel permitting nationwide